Hi everyone - I hope you had a wonderful 4th of July weekend! Today I'm bringing you a sweet and amazingly simple Asian slaw for #meatlessmonday. This one is vegan, gluten free, and contains NO MAYO (no vegan mayo either!).
My secret ingredient for slaw without dairy or eggs? ALMOND BUTTER. Last week you saw it get whipped into a frothy milk, and today we'll be using it to create a creamy dressing for our slaw.
While this slaw is not a meal in itself, you can easily make it a meal by adding in some protein - perhaps some cooked quinoa, cubed tofu or tempeh, or other protein of your choice. I love this recipe because the slaw actually gets BETTER if it sits in the fridge for a day or two, making it the perfect dish to whip up at the beginning of the week.
Sweet and Simple Asian Slaw // vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free, raw
For the slaw:
- 4 cups shredded Napa cabbage (about 1/2 head)
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
For the dressing:
- 3 tbsp almond butter
- 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- juice of 1 lime (~3 tbsp)
- 1/2 tbsp tamari (or soy sauce)
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tsp siracha (optional)
1. Make the dressing: Add all dressing ingredients (almond butter through water) to your blender or food processor and process until smooth and creamy. Add siracha to taste.
2. Mix it up: Add shredded cabbage and carrots to a large bowl. Toss with the dressing until veggies are completely coated. Mix in sesame seeds. Serve or store in the fridge.
Note: If you are looking to make this recipe nut-free or sans-almonds, I suggest substituting tahini (sesame seed butter) or sunflower seed butter for the almond butter. If you go the sunflower seed butter route, check your ingredients first - many sunflower seed butters have added sugar and if this is the case, omit the sweetener noted above.
What's your favorite dish to make at the beginning of the week? I hope you enjoy this one!