It's FINALLY feeling like fall here in NYC which means it FINALLY feels appropriate for me to start sharing cool weather recipes! While I'm totally a warm weather gal, I am looking forward to more warm, grounding foods as the temperature drops: soups, roasted root vegetables and winter squashes, broth, everything cinnamon and THIS amazing hot cocoa.
I started making this superfood powered hot cocoa when I was in Maine in August - the nights can be cool up there (even in the summer) and I found myself waking up craving something sweet and warm. I had stopped drinking coffee and matcha, so I decided to play around with a caffeine-free alternative to my beloved bulletproof-style lattes, and thus this drink was born!
Fun fact: Cacao does not contain caffeine. I always thought it did, because of the effect it had on my body. Nope! Cacao (and thus chocolate) does contain theobromine, which is an alkaloid similar to caffeine. Theobromine is a stimulant, which is why many people (myself included!) feel a buzz from eating chocolate and thus avoid it at night.
I love having this drink in the morning because it gives me a noticeable boost without a crash or "caffeine hangover." (not sure if that's a thing or if I just made that up!). In addition to the cacao, my Superfood Hot Cocoa contains maca which is an energizing herb and ashwaganda which is an herb that helps your body adapt to stress. I also like to add in some collagen powder for added protein and it's gut-healing benefits.
Whether you're looking for a coffee alternative or simply a fun superfood infused beverage to mix up your morning routine, I hope you'll try this recipe. If you do, let me know how it goes! I love it when you guys leave comments or post photos on social media - make sure to tag me @EmilyNachazel so I don't miss it!
Superfood Hot Cocoa
- 2 scoops collagen (I like Vital Proteins)
- 2 cups hot water or non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2-3 tablespoons raw cacao or cocoa powder (I like my cocoa REALLY dark... so play with this and find what works for you!)
- 1 tbsp coconut butter
- 1/2 tsp maca powder
- 1/4 tsp ashwaganda powder
- Raw honey or stevia (if desired)
- Dash sea salt (optional)
- Add all ingredients to your high speed blender. Make sure your lid is secure and then blend, starting on the lowest setting and increasing to highest speed, for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Taste and add sweetener if desired, and blend again to incorporate. Pour into a mug and enjoy!