Just over a year ago I made a conscious decision to take a break from teaching yoga. This decision was not an easy one to make: I loved my students and I loved teaching. I loved that my classes and workshops were regular times where I was required to show up, be present and be seen.
Despite all that, I slowly started to resent my teaching commitments.
And I felt so guilty for feeling that way.
I was exhausted from running around the city, teaching early mornings and weekends, while still working full time on other projects during regular working hours. My attention was scattered. And I started to feel like a fake because between everything I was doing, I wasn't making it to my own mat regularly.
So I decided to take a break from teaching. I thought it would be good to have a month or two off during the summer when studio traffic slows down anyways. I figured I'd be back in the fall, refreshed and with a renewed excitement for teaching.
Well, it took a little more than a month or two (more like 12...), but I'm now READY to step back into this role, or rather step FORWARD into this new version of yoga teacher me.
I share this for a few reasons:
- For my students - "It's not you, it's me" I just want you to know I've missed you SO much. I'm beyond excited to practice with many of you again soon (see upcoming classes below!)
- For my fellow yoga teachers - It's okay to put yourself first, it's okay to take a break. It's okay to love what you do but not to want to hustle so hard. It's okay to want to make good money. It's okay to want more time to yourself. It's okay if the group class thing is not working for you - there are other ways.
- For myself - Writing is so therapeutic for me. Putting words down here allows me to work through what's been going on in my head. What I wrote above is important: while I am "stepping back" into this role, I truly see this as moving FORWARD into a different reality of teaching for me, and I want to hold myself accountable to holding the vision of that different reality.
Like I said, I see this as a new era of teaching for me.
Here are the things I've decided to commit to (at this time) so that teaching can feel sustainable and supportive of me:
- Teach local - For regular group classes, I'm only going to teach at studios that are within walking distance to my apartment or office. Not having to commute makes such a difference for me!
- No more hot yoga - I love you hot yoga, but I literally burnt out teaching so many heated classes. While I'll still practice at a hot yoga studio occasionally, I won't be teaching in the heat.
- Own my worth - I've increased my rates for privates and special events so that I can show up in the way that I want to: fully, and going above and beyond what's required.
- Maintain my personal practice - If I feel like my personal practice is slipping, I will re-evaluate what I'm committing to on a weekly basis so that my practice can be a priority.
- Invest in my own development as a teacher - I'm signed up for an advanced training later this month and will continue to take workshops and trainings to further hone my knowledge and skills as a teacher.
More than anything else, I want to continue to check in with myself before I commit to new classes, say YES to workshops or events or take on private clients.
All that being said, I'm thrilled to share a few upcoming opportunities for us to practice yoga together this month!!
Practice with me:
- Friday July 6th 4PM // Jewel City Yoga, Crown Heights BK // I'm auditioning at my local yoga studio by hosting a community yoga class. If you're in town, I'd love your support at this class. Click here for details!
- Monday July 16th 6PM // Virtual class via Facebook LIVE! // I'm going to try out teaching a virtual class on Facebook LIVE. LIKE my Facebook page for updates!
- Sunday July 22nd 9AM // Lululemon Smith Street, Cobble Hill BK // Join me for a free class at the Lululemon on Smith Street. In addition to the yoga class, I'll be chatting about my favorite essential oils for summer and you'll have the opportunity to sample and buy some of these amazing oils! No need to RSVP, you can just show up!
I am also open to taking on one or two new private yoga clients. Contact me if you're interested and we'll chat!
Whatever your job or schedule, I encourage you to check in with yourself before committing to events, activities, etc. This is YOUR life and you deserve to be in the driver seat. So take a breath and take the wheel.
We got this.