This breakfast came about because I was searching for something that was warm, protein packed and easy to make. Enter: healthified egg drop soup!
To be honest, I've never had egg drop soup and I was always kind of scared to order it. But once I tried it at home I was hooked! This soup is so simple and so tasty, and right now it's exactly what my belly wants in the morning (especially since I've been skipping my bulletproof coffee and Superpowers Matcha Lattes).
Bone broth is an essential part of this recipe. Sure, you can use stock, but it won't taste as delicious OR be as beneficial for you bod. For more on the benefits of bone broth, read this post: Bone Broth 101.
Bone Broth Breakfast Soup gluten free / paleo
- 2 cups bone broth (I prefer beef, but you can use chicken or turkey, or even a veggie broth)
- 2 eggs
- Large handful of greens (baby kale, spinach, watercress, etc!)
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 tsp ghee (or coconut oil or olive oil)
- Optional add ins: fresh or dried herbs, leftover cooked veggies, cayenne pepper
- Heat the bone broth in a small pot over medium heat. Add the greens and cover to cook for a few minutes.
- When greens have wilted, push them off to the sides of the pot as best you can. Crack the eggs directly into the hot broth. Season eggs with salt and pepper.
- Continue to cook over medium heat until eggs are done. You can let the eggs poach in the hot liquid, or break the yolks and scramble 'em in (this is what I do most of the time!).
- Serve in a small bowl or mug, topped with a drizzle of ghee. Enjoy!
If you make this soup, I want to see it!
Snap a photo and tag me @EmilyNachazel so I can drool over your soup creations!