The past few weeks I've been passing on most caffeine - that means none of my beloved matcha lattes, bulletproof coffees and very little kombucha.
I've been working on my adrenal health and greatly reducing my caffeine intake is part of that healing process. I'll share more about WHY I'm doing this at some point, but if you're interested in learning how caffeine could be wrecking havoc on your health and wellness goals (especially if you are a woman), I suggest watching this interview: Hormones 101 with Alisa Vitti. This interview, along with some test results I received from my doctor, was what finally got me to give up my coffee/matcha/caffeine habit.
One of the hardest parts of giving up my morning hit of caffeine was giving up the ritual - I love that quiet time in the morning where I whisk or blend or pour myself a hot cup of comfort, and then sit and sip before officially starting my day. So I started to experiment with caffeine free alternatives and I'm sharing my favorites with you today.
My favorite caffeine free teas, lattes and more:
- Teechino - Teechino is a coffee alternative made with herbs, grains, fruits and nuts that are roasted and ground to brew and taste like coffee. It's non-acidic and naturally caffeine free, but when mixed with a little non-dairy milk you may be convinced you're sipping joe. There's a bunch of delicious flavors like French Roast, Hazelnut, Vanilla Nut and Chocolate.
- Gut Healing Ginger Latte - This recipe tastes like a chai latte, but is packed with gut (and hormone) friendly superfoods like ginger, collagen, and ashwaganda.
- Hot Water with Lemon - I know this tastes NOTHING like coffee, but hot water with lemon is GREAT for your digestion and gives you a noticeable energy boost. No fresh lemon juice on hand? You can also use a drop of doTERRA lemon essential oil.
- Peppermint Tea - Again, totally NOT coffee but mint is naturally energizing. It's also wonderful for your digestion making this a perfect AM or post-meal tea.
- Zen Bear Mocha Chaga Honey Tea - For those days when you want a mocha, this honey tea will hit the spot! Simply stir the superfood infused honey into hot water, add a splash of your favorite non-dairy milk and ENJOY!
Looking for coffee alternatives that still pack a little caffeine kick? Read this post: Coffee Alternatives.
As always, I'm sharing my opinions in hope that they give you ideas and inspiration for how you can live your healthiest, happiest, most energetic life. If you're thinking caffeine may not be supporting you at this time, I suggest experimenting with some of these alternatives! Yes, you may go through some uncomfortable symptoms (headaches, tiredness, muscle soreness) as your body adjusts, but it won't be forever. I've personally felt SO much better (more even energy, no more afternoon slump, more restful sleep) since reducing my caffeine intake. This may not be a "forever" thing, but it's what's working for me, for now.
Do you drink a hot beverage in the morning? Caffeine or caffeine free? I'd love to hear from you in the comments below.