Hemp milk is hands down the easiest non-dairy milk to make at home! No soaking or straining required - just throw some hemp seeds in your blender with filtered water and one or two add ins and BOOM you've got "MYLK" in minutes.
Let's rewind for a minute - what ARE hemp seeds? Are they related to marijuana?
Hemp seeds (also known as hemp hearts) are the seeds of the hemp plant, or Cannabis sativa. Although marijuana comes from the same plant, hemp seeds only contain a trace amount of THC, the active ingredient in marijuana, thus they will not get you high.
Hemp seeds are rich in protein and packed with healthy omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids making them an awesome superfood to add in to you diet!
Hemp seeds (and thus hemp milk) have a distinctive, nutty taste. I think that this homemade hemp milk pairs particularly well with matcha (like in this recipe!), but try it anywhere you'd use almond, soy or coconut milk!
Homemade Hemp Milk // vegan, gluten free, dairy free, paleo, refined sugar free
- 1 cup raw hulled hemp seeds
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- dash sea salt
- 4 cups filtered water
- optional sweetener: 2 pitted medjool dates, a few drops of liquid stevia or 1-2 tsp maple syrup
- Add all ingredients in a high speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Store in an sealed container (I use these giant mason jars) in the fridge for up to one week. Best served chilled!
Have you ever tried hemp seeds or hemp milk?
Share your experience with us all in the comments below!