I've been on a massaged kale salad kick lately. Maybe it's because it's easy to make it in a big batch, maybe because it feels a little heartier that green leafy salad, or maybe because my body knows that kale really is just that good for me and the green stuff balances out the extra treats I've been having lately.
Although kale may not be the FIRST thing that pops into mind when you think of a dish to bring to a holiday meal, it's such a great option for those exact same reasons.
This particular massaged kale salad recipe is especially good for sharing because it really is delicious. The combination of the salty, tangy preserved lemons with the sweet ginger makes this salad truly crave-able.
My cousin Jennifer even said "I've never said the words 'This kale is delicious' until today."
Well then. Let's get to that recipe!
Kale Salad with Preserved Lemon and Candied Ginger vegan / gluten free / paleo
- 4 bunches dinosaur kale
- 1/4 cup raw apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup avocado oil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- Leaves from 8 sprigs of thyme
- 4 tablespoons minced preserved lemon rind (plus some of the preserving liquid)
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped candied ginger
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root, grated
- Wash and prep your kale. Rinse kale, de-stem and slice leaves into thin ribbons.
- Make your dressing. In a small container, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, avocado oil, lemon zest, salt, maple syrup and thyme.
- Massage your kale. Add your prepped kale to a large bowl and pour in dressing. Using your hands, massage the dressing into the kale for 5-10 minutes, or until the kale has decreased in size significantly.
- Mix in preserved lemon, candied and fresh ginger. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired - you can add more salt and/or a little bit of the preserving liquid from the lemons.