I literally cannot stop making this pesto. I want to eat it on everything, it's that good. Seriously. I've mixed it into my Cauliflower Rice Bowls, served it atop Zucchini Noodles and mashed it with tuna for a spin on classic tuna salad.
What makes this pesto so delicious, and different from any other recipe out there?
First, Brazil nuts stand in for pine nuts in this recipe. Brazil nuts are high in selenium, which is a critical nutrient the body needs to help fight inflammation. Research also shows that selenium is proven to lift mood and fight depression, which is so important this time of year when the winter blues are in full swing.
This pesto is also dairy free! To get the cheesy, tangy flavor that Parmesan cheese lends to a traditional pesto recipe, we rely on the incredible nutritional yeast. For anyone new to nutritional yeast (commonly known as "nooch"), it's a deactivated yeast similar to the yeast used to brew beer, that is packed with vitamins, including B vitamins. Nutritional yeast is completely dairy, gluten, and grain free, which makes it a great way to flavor any vegan or paleo dish (try it sprinkled on roasted veggies, or mixed into a salad like my Crunchy Romaine + Nori Salad).
Did I mention that it's delicious? Because all health stuff aside, that's the most important thing... right?!
Brazil Nut Pesto // vegan, gluten free, paleo, dairy free
- 1/3 cup raw Brazil nuts
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 packed cup fresh basil, washed and dried
- 2-3 cloves raw garlic
- juice of 1 lemon (or more... taste test! I like a LOT of lemon)
- 3/4-1 cup good quality olive oil
- sea salt + pepper to taste
- Add Brazil nuts, nutritional yeast and garlic to your food processor or Vitamix blender and pulse a few times, or until nuts are chopped.
- Add in basil and lemon juice, pulse a few more times to chop up the basil.
- Slowly add in olive oil, blending or pulsing as you go.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? I want to hear from you! What did you serve it with, and how did you like it?? Leave me a comment below, or better yet, post a photo to social media. Make sure to tag me @EmilyNachazel so that I don't miss it!
Okay, I'm off to make another batch!