Emily's Epic 2016 Adventure has begun! I've said farewell to NYC for a few weeks and am off exploring the west coast for the remainder of the month. In true wellness blogger form, I'm going to be documenting what I'm eating, drinking and doing during these few weeks here on the blog (you can also follow along on Instagram for real-time updates).
And my journey continues in the city of Angels...
LOS ANGELES // WEEK 3
- Restorative yoga at The Yoga Collective Venice - I've been really into a slower yoga practice lately so this Sunday night restorative class was perfect.
- Sweat at Shapehouse - Shapehouse is an "urban sweat lodge" and my experience here deserves a whole post on it's on [coming soon... promise!]. Here's the quick and dirty recap: At Shapehouse you sweat in an infrared sauna bed for 50 minutes while relaxing (either watching TV, listening to music, or just chilling out). To use Shapehouse's words sweating can "burn calories, deepen sleep, improve skin, lift moods and change lives." Like I said, I'm going to do a full post about my experience, what to expect, and more on the WHY, but for now just know that this is one of my favorite new wellness activities!
- Running - Just everywhere.
- Rose Girl from Flowerboy Project - Basically steamed almond milk with a subtle rose flavor. Good but I probably wouldn't get it again - I heard the Lavender Boy (lavender infused latte) is what to order here. This space is super cute - some home goods, jewelry, flowers, and of course coffee + bites.
- Green soda from Erewhon market - Coconut kefir (bubbly probiotic drink!) with all the greens (chlorophyll, spirulina, and more!). I liked this - it was pretty intense (you may want to ask them to add extra ice) but made me feel great.
- Muscle Up Smoothie from Earthbar - Pretty standard banana-almond butter-protein smoothie, I swapped in blueberries for some of the banana. I actually grabbed this smoothie at the location inside LAX, great healthy option with smoothies, acai bowls, superfood snacks.
- Charcoal lemonade from Juice Served Here - Activated charcoal is known to pull toxins, heavy metals and other chemicals from the body, making it an easy way to boost your body's natural detox function! This drink also had lots of lemon and a little sugar cane juice so it doesn't taste anything like it looks!
- Kelp noodles from Erewhon market - I don't know why it's taken me so long to try kelp noodles, they are not a new thing in the healthy eating world. For those of your new to kelp noodles (like me!) they are noodles made from kelp (yep! that's seaweed) and have a mild taste and crunchy texture (more similar to traditional pasta than spaghetti squash or other veggie noodles). Kelp is packed with vitamins and minerals, so these truly are superfood noodles! The kelp noodles I loved from Erewhon had butternut squash, mushrooms, and spinach as well as some spices and I will definitely be re-creating these once I'm back in my own kitchen!
- Cesear salad with shrimp from Greenleaf - If you are in Venice and looking for a quick but not totally casual place for healthy eats and drinks, Greenleaf is it! What I mean is that you can totally come here by yourself and order a salad to go (or to stay!), or you can sit at the bar and have a cocktail with your date, or you can sit out back for a chill night with your bestie. The food is healthy but tasty with lots of options (and not just salads!).
- Green goddess ice cream from Erewhon market - "Ice cream" made from ALL the crunchy superfoods: spirulina, chlorella, barley grass, tocos, maca, hemp seeds, mesquite, lucuma, almond butter, pumpkin oil and cinnamon. This was probably the weirdest and coolest thing I ate in LA!
And there you have it - the highlights from week 3 of my west coast adventure. Stay tuned... Tahoe, SF, and Portland recaps coming soon!!