Last week we talked about what to clean out of your pantry, this week we're going to cover what to fill it back up with! While I try to switch up the foods I eat, there are some staples that I always, always buy and have on hand (which make pulling together healthy meals super quick and easy!).
Here's what I put in my grocery cart every single week:
- Leafy green veggies - spinach, kale, collards, spring mix, romaine, arugula... the list goes on! I like to make sure I have at least one green that is good raw (for salads and smoothies) and one that is good cooked (to add to soups, sautés, etc)
- Snacking veggies - baby carrots, radishes, sugar snap peas, jicama, cherry tomatoes. Either buy pre-washed and chopped, or wash and chop everything on Sunday that way they are easy to grab during the week.
- Sweet veggies - sweet potatoes, squash, pumpkin, onions, beets, carrots, and other root veggies. Sweet vegetables are comforting, satisfying, and help fight off sugar cravings.
- Fruit - I always grab bananas and apples, plus something seasonal (citrus, berries, melon). If nothing in season, buy frozen!
- Protein - For me this is usually eggs, tempeh, whole grains and beans, but for you it may also be tofu, fish, poultry, beef or pork. I recommend having at least 2-3 different types of protein to incorporate into your weekly meal plan.
- Healthy fats - I've said it before and I'll say it again: Fat won't make you fat and it's actually a vital part of a healthy diet. Aim for whole food sources of fat: avocado, coconut, olives and olive oil, nuts and seeds, plus many animal products (eggs, fish and meat) also contain healthy fats.
This is by no means an exhaustive list of what I buy, but it does give you a good idea of the types of fruits, veggies, and other food items that I stock up on to make healthy eating easy.
Still feel like you need more support in creating a healthier grocery cart, a healthier kitchen, and a healthier you? Let me help you out with a Pantry Detox! Together we will go through your pantry and fridge and get rid of junk that is weighing you down. Then, we’ll formulate a re-stock plan with my top kitchen essentials. In addition to our session (which can be held over Skype, FaceTime or in person), you’ll receive my Clean Sweep Shopping List and email support from me for 21 days following our session.
Click here to book your Pantry Detox TODAY!