This is my favorite "short cut" soup. I don't usually post recipes that rely on a packaged or pre-made product, but I know a lot of you are looking to cook more, but spend less time in the kitchen, so this soup is for you!
In this recipe, I use a carton of black bean soup from Trader Joe's. This "soup" is more like a thick bean based broth which results in a soup that tastes like it cooked for hours (although in reality this recipe comes together in less than 30 minutes!).
Note: Not all packages soups are created equal! Look for ones with minimal ingredients (and items you know!), no added sugars, and low sodium.
Basic Black Bean Soup // vegan, gluten free, soy free
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes (or a handful of baby tomatoes)
- 1 tbsp coconut or olive oil
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 1 carton Trader Joe's Latin Style black bean soup
- 4 cups greens (spinach, baby kale, chard)
1. Add oil to soup pot over medium high heat. Saute onion in pot until translucent (about 5 minutes)
2. Add tomatoes and cook for a few minutes.
3. Add black beans, black bean soup and heat on medium until warm.
4. Stir in greens and heat until wilted.
Optional: Top with diced avocado, red onion, and crumbled tortilla chips (yeah, just do it!). You can also serve over pre-cooked rice or quinoa for a heartier meal. Yum!
What are your favorite Trader Joe's products for super easy meals? Let me know in the comments below!