Welcome to Part II of my Immunity Guide! In this three part series I'm going to be teaching you my top immunity tips and recipes so that you don't get sick this season. Yes, that's totally possible.
In case you missed it, last week I shared the foods and spices you'll want to eat to naturally boost your immune system.
Today we will dive into the supplements and essential oils I recommend to my clients specifically to boost immunity. I consider this list my "natural medicine cabinet" and it's what I keep on hand both to prevent myself from getting sick AND to ward off illness if I do feel I'm coming down with something.
Let's get to it!
Take these supplements boost your immune system:
- Probiotic - Did you know that 80% of your immune system is actually located in your digestive tract? Yup! In addition to eating fermented foods, I recommend taking a probiotic (especially this time of year) to build up the good bacteria in your gut. Like with your fermented foods, you want to vary your probiotic sources because each brand has a slightly different combination of bacteria. Here are a few brands I recommend: Prescript Assist, Garden of Life, and Enzymedica.
- Vitamin D - Studies show that with adequate blood levels of Vitamin D it is possible to prevent any and all infections. The trouble is that for most of us it is nearly impossible for our bodies to produce sufficient vitamin D from exposure to sunlight alone, which is why supplementation is important. I suggest taking a liquid supplement, like this one, with your breakfast in the AM.
- Echinacea - Echinacea is a powerful herb that has been used for thousands of years as a natural and effective cold and flu preventer. I bring in this one when I feel myself starting to come down with something or if I've been around someone who is sick.
- Olive leaf extract - A 100% natural herbal antibacterial/antiviral supplement that won't mess with your stomach (as many supplements can, see note on Vitamin C below). Again, this one I use if I feel a little drained, like my body is fighting off something.
- Vitamin C - 1000 mg or more of Vitamin C daily has anti-viral and immune enhancing effects (just be careful not to take TOO much as it can cause digestive upset and diarrhea). You can totally take Vitamin C daily this time of year for extra "health insurance" <<< hehehe :)
Use these essential oils that boost your immune system:
- OnGuard - doTERRA's signature "protective" blend, onGuard is my favorite immunity oil. I rub a drop between my hands and breathe it in while traveling and diffuse in my apartment regularly. It smells amazing because it's a blend with cinnamon, clove and eucalyptus, among other things. Also, of you have a sore throat you can put a drop of this oil in hot water for a soothing, yummy tea, or gargle with it.
- Lemon - Lemon is detoxifying and cleansing which means it helps your body eliminate any yuck it comes into contact with. I love adding a drop to my morning water.
- Breathe - If you are congested or have the sniffles, this oil is for you! Breathe is another doTERRA blend which (as you can probably deduce from the name) helps promote breathing. You can rub a drop on your chest or diffuse at night (when congestion often makes it hard to sleep).
- Eucalyptus - Eucalyptus oil helps open up the nasal passages so that you can breathe deeply. It's invigorating, so I prefer to use this one during the day - rub a drop between your hands and breathe it in, or place a few drops in your shower for a spa-like experience.
- Oregano - Oregano is one of the most potent and powerful essential oils and has been used for centuries for its cleansing and immune-boosting properties. I save this oil for when I feel myself coming down with something. It's VERY strong (and sort of tastes like liquid pizza) so I'll place a drop in a small glass of water and CHUG. I'll repeat this 2-3 times per day until I feel better. Works like a charm every time.
Click here to purchase essential oils.
Note: I only recommend the doTERRA certified therapeutic grade essential oils. These oils are triple tested for purity and are the highest quality out there (which is super important if you are going to be ingesting them as per my recommendations above).
Purchasing more than 1 or 2 oils? Open a wholesale account to save 25% on this and all future purchases - hit reply to this email for details and instructions!
Like with the foods and spices list, this list is by no means exhaustive - I'm constantly researching the best holistic remedies and new products, which I always share as soon as I've tested them! However, I do hope that with this list you feel like you have a great start to building your own natural medicine cabinet.
Now for your homework for this week - choose ONE of these supplements or oils to add into your daily routine. And then let me know which one (or ones!) you are trying out in the comments below - I can't wait to hear from you!