You may have heard of chia seeds and wheatgrass, but here's a little secret: OATMEAL is also a superfood. Whole oats are packed with fiber (keeps you regular!) as well as a specific type of fiber called beta-glucan that helps lower levels of bad cholesterol. Plus, oats contains all sorts of minerals such as manganese, selenium, phosphorus, magnesium, and zinc.
Did you know that you can put oats in smoothies? Not only does adding whole oats add nutrients and a nutty flavor, it also makes for a heartier smoothie.
Peachy Oat Smoothie // vegan, gluten free, soy free
- 1 cup almond milk (make your own!)
- 1/4 cup old fashioned oats (certified gluten free, if required)
- 1 cup frozen peaches (or whatever frozen fruit you have on hand! I'm sure this would be amazing with frozen cherries, blueberries, etc)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- dash nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- scoop of vanilla protein powder (optional)
- pinch sea salt
1. Add all ingredients to your blender and give it a whirl! Pour into a tall glass and ENJOY! You can top with more oats or granola if you'd like (like I did in the photo above).
Have you ever tried oats in your smoothies? Let me know your experience in the comments below.