I NEVER liked milk as a kid. I remember my brother (hi, Mark!) would drink GIANT glasses of it, which I thought was gross. I'm not sure why I was so adverse to the stuff; perhaps I knew subconsciouly that it didn't agree with me!
So it's funny that I now LOVE milk. Homemade, non-dairy milk that is.
If you guys follow me on Instagram or if you read this blog on a regular basis, you know I'm pretty addicted to my 2-Minute Almond Milk (check out my What I Ate Wednesday blog posts for proof). And while the 2-Minute Almond Milk is the bomb.com, I do like to switch things up, and when I have a little bit more time this cashew milk is my go-to.
This dairy-free, dreamy "milk" is packed with healthy fats and protein and truly feels like a treat. Vegan, gluten-free, and naturally sweetened, its a treat that you can indulge in every day, and trust me, I do! I love this in my morning matcha tea, but also straight up over ice. It's also quite fantastic with cereal, overnight oats, or in chia pudding.
Dreamy Cashew Milk / raw, vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free, soy free
- 1 cup raw, unsalted cashews
- 1 tbsp raw coconut oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 cups filtered water + water for soaking cashews
- dash nutmeg (optional)
- 2-3 pitted medjool dates, for sweetness (optional)
1. Soak your cashews - Place your cashews in a medium bowl and cover with water. Soak overnight in the fridge. Note: You can get away with only soaking the nuts for a few hours, but overnight is ideal!
2. Blend it up - Drain the cashews from the soaking water. Add all ingredients to your blender and blend until smooth and frothy. Enjoy!
No time to make your own? Check out my friends over at Lulitonix - there stuff is the real deal.
Did you drink milk as a kid? Do you now? Let me know in the comments below!