These muffins are a game-changer. Gluten-free and naturally sweetened (with a vegan option!), they sound too good to be true. Oh, but they are true and easy to make too!
So run, don't walk, to your nearest grocery store, scoop up the ingredients, and make yourself these muffins ASAP!
Almond Butter and Jam Muffins / gluten free, vegan, refined sugar free
- 2 eggs or flax eggs
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or local honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup almond butter, plus more for topping
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Jam of choice for topping (I used the Fruit-Juice Sweetened Raspberry Jam from Trader Joe's)
- 3/4 cup almond meal
- 1 1/4 cup gluten free flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- dash sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Line or lightly grease a 12-muffin tin.
2. Combine the dry ingredients in a small bowl and mix until combined.
3. Add the wet ingredients (except the jam) to a large bowl and whisk well. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until all ingredients are incorporated. Batter should be pretty thick - not pour-able but scoop-able.
4. Fill muffin tins 3/4 full with batter. Add 3/4 tsp jam and 1/4 tsp almond butter on top each muffin. Use a toothpick to swirl the AB + J into the batter.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let cool in the muffin tin for 15 minutes, then use a butter knife to loosen the muffins to remove them. Let them cool the rest of the way on a wire rack or plate. Enjoy slathered with more almond butter and jam!
Alright, I'm going to go make my third batch in a week. Yes, they are that good!!
PS. Thanks to Minimalist Baker for the inspiration and to my cousin Kayla for helping me develop my own twist on the recipe!