Hi friends and Happy Friday! Today, join me as I "open up" on my favorite superfoods.
This week I got a shipment of superfoods. I thought it would be interesting AND helpful if I shared with you what I buy, why, and how I use these nutrient powerhouse foods!
Here's what super foods I use regularly:
- Mulberries - Similar to a dried fig in flavor, mulberries have a unique texture (look like a raspberry almost) and are packed with antioxidants. How do I eat them? In my Superfood Trail Mix, on smoothies, or with a bowl of fruit.
- Goji Berries - I swear these little red berries taste like Golden Grahams! They are a surprising source of protein, but also Vitamins A and C. I love to mix them into my Overnight Oats and throw them into my Superfood Trail Mix.
- Cacao Nibs - Another powerhouse in my Superfood Trail Mix, cacao nibs are nature's chocolate chip. All the benefits you hear about from chocolate, no other added ingredients, sugar, or fillers.
- Cacao Powder - Raw unprocessed cacao contains tons of dietary fiber, magnesium (great for stress relief!) and iron. I love using this powder in my One-Minute Chocolate Avocado Pudding.
- Maca Powder - Need an energy boost? Look no further than Maca. This powerhouse powder has been used for centuries to increase energy, boost libido, and balance hormones. A little goes a long way! I love throwing some in smoothies and in my Two-Minute Almond Milk.
- Matcha Green Tea - Another way to naturally boost your energy is Matcha (not to be confused with Maca above!) Matcha is finely ground green tea leaves - not only do you get all of the benefits of green tea, but you also get clear, focused energy (no jitters like coffee).
- Hemp Seeds - One of my top plant-based protein sources, and also a great source of good-for-you fatty acids. Hemp seeds are versatile - you can throw them in smoothies, add them to salads and bowls, or sprinkle them on sandwiches.
Not included in this shipment:
- Chia Seeds - These little dinosaur eggs are great for keeping you hydrated because they soak up tons of liquid. Also packed with fiber, protein, and healthy fatty acids. I use them in my Chia Pudding and Overnight Oats.
- Spirulina - Spirulina is a natural algae powder that is high in protein, B-vitamans, antioxidants, and other nutrients. For this reason, its a great addition to ANY diet, but especially recommended for vegetarians and vegans due to its high iron content. It's also high in Chlorophyll which helps remove toxins com the body and boost the immune system. A little goes a long way - I add about a teaspoon to smoothies and I also use it in my Superfood Energy Bites.
- Bee Pollen - Considered one of nature's most completely nourishing foods, bee pollen is rich in protein, B-vitamins, and folic acid. I find it to be a potent energy booster! It's important to recognize that bee pollen is the bee's food - research where you buy yours to make sure that it is being harvested sustainably. If possible, buy from your local farmer's market. I add it to smoothies, sprinkle it on top of fruit bowls, and use it in my Superfood Energy Bites.
Want to try some for yourself? Check out my SHOP for my favorite brands and products.
What's your favorite superfood?? Let me know in the comments below!