GUYS! It's National Ice Cream day so I'm (unexpectedly) popping in with a sweet treat for you - a throwback! This is a recipe I developed a few years ago and it is MMMMMM GOOD.
No ice cream maker? FEAR NOT! I used this technique for years (and still do, when I'm not feeling like pulling out the machine): pour your mixture into ice cube trays and freeze. Once frozen, throw into your blender or food processor and blend until soft serve consistence is achieved (you may have to add a little liquid to help the process).
Coconut Avocado Ice Cream // vegan, gluten free, soy free, refined sugar free
- 2 large Haas avocados
- 1- 14 ounce can + 1/2 cup light coconut milk*
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or agave**
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut, toasted (optional)
1. Make the base: Scoop the flesh from the avocados and add to your high speed blended or food processor, along with the coconut milk and sweetener of choice. Blend until completely smooth and then stir in lime juice and zest.
2. Freeze: Transfer mixture to your ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturers instructions. It will be more like soft-serve when its done - transfer to a container and freeze for 1-2 hours for a firmer ice cream. Top ice cream with toasted coconut when serving.
*I've used light coconut milk and was happy with the results. Use full fat coconut milk for a richer taste.
** Feel free to reduce the amount of sweetener if you know you like things on the less-sweet side. This amount was slightly too sweet for me, but I find it's pleasing to most normal taste buds =)
Stay cool friends!
PS. Maybe the next recipe I post won't include avocados... maybe...