Hello and Happy Friday! It's a hot one here in NYC - I'm going to try to get my work done this morning and then go find a sprinkler to run through. Seriously!
Last night I had the pleasure of co-hosting an Essential Oils and Yoga workshop with the lovely Amy Jarosky, of Healthy Vices, at Athleta Flatiron. Thank you to everyone who came out - we had such a great time sharing the doTERRA essential oils and some yoga with you all! I know many of you could not make it to the event in person, so I wanted to share some of the information we discussed last night here.
First, what are essential oils? Essential oils are natural aromatic compounds found in the seeds, bark, stems, roots, flowers, and other parts of plants. They've been used throughout history for their medical and therapeutic benefits. If you have ever enjoyed the scent of roses or smelled fresh herbs, you have experienced the aromatic qualities of essential oils. Based on the oil, they can also be used topically or internally.
How can I use these oils? There are so many ways to use essential oils! I was first introduced to them during my yoga teacher training at The Studio DC. We used a few of the oils during class - Eucalyptus at the beginning of class to promote breathing and increase energy, and Lavender during savasana for its calming effects. Slowly, I started to explore using the oils in other ways, both on and off the mat.
During our class last night, Amy and I shared information on the benefits of the most popular doTERRA essential oils and how to bring these into your home and into your yoga practice. (Note: we both use doTERRA oils as these are Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade and represent the safest, purest, and most beneficial oils available today). These oils provide a natural way to alleviate headaches, evaporate stress, soothe muscle tension, calm the mind, mitigate allergy symptoms... the list goes on!
These are some of my favorite oils to use with yoga:
- Lemon - Add a drop to your water bottle for a delicious and hydrating drink! It's so important to make sure you are drinking plenty, especially during these hot summer days!
- Eucalyptus/ Breathe - Inhale or rub a drop onto your chest before practice to open the airways. Especially useful this time of year with allergies in full swing!
- Balance - Feeling a little unsteady or scattered? Rub a drop of Balance onto the bottoms of your feet before class to feel more grounded.
- Lavender - Make an aromatherapy spray to keep the calm of savasana with you throughout your day: mix 5 drops of lavender with 4 oz of water in a spray bottle. Or rub a drop onto the bottoms of your feet before bed to promote relaxation and rest.
- Deep Blue - Rub a drop onto sore muscles to alleviate pain and tension.
I could go on - I'm constantly discovering a new favorite oil, or a new favorite way to use an oil. If you are interested in learning more about the oils and uses, feel free to reach out to me, I'm more than happy to answer your questions!
Ready to try these yourself? Purchase doTERRA essential oils here (select "Shop"). If you think you may want to buy multiple oils, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for information on how you can save 25% through opening a wholesale account.
Hope you have a fantastic Friday and a wonderful weekend!