Dates are nature's candy. And no, I don't mean the dinner-and-a-movie type, although those are sweet too. Seriously, who can argue that a dense, gooey medjool date isn't just as good, if not better than any candy? For those of you who don't taste the similarity, try this simple recipe. I promise when you try these chocolate covered bites of heaven, you will swear you are eating a Snickers (with no guilt, sugar rush, or sugar crash).
Nature's Candy (Chocolate Covered Stuffed Dates)
1 TBSP coconut oil
3 TBSP natural peanut butter **Sub any seed or nut butter if you have allergies/intolerances/aversions
1 cup vegan dark chocolate (chips, bar broken into pieces, whatever you want)
10-15 medjool dates, pitted (will depend how big your dates are and how full you stuff them)
1. In a small bowl, combine the coconut oil and peanut butter.
2. In the center of each date (where the pit used to be), spoon a small amount of the peanut butter mixture, about 1/2-1 tsp depending on the size of the date. You don't want the date overflowing with PB, but try to get as much as you can.
3. Place stuffed dates on a tray lined with parchment paper and stick in your freezer to firm up.
4. While dates are in the freezer, melt your chocolate using a double boiler (or microwave). Once chocolate is melted, remove from heat and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
5. Remove dates from freezer. Coat with melted chocolate and return to tray. Once you've covered all your dates, stick the tray back in the freezer for about 30 minutes. Then transfer your treats to a container and store in the freezer until ready to enjoy.
These come together quickly, which is good because they will disappear quickly too! I'm already getting ready to make my third batch...
Shhh... Don't tell anyone I'm eating the last one!
What's your favorite healthy indulgence?